Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Arrested Development

  You can't tell from this journal, but there are actually two television shows I am obsessed with.  Comedy does not fill my television nights the way it used to- I know it's been a pretty sad season when a) Last Sunday I watched the first episode of the Simpsons ever where I did not laugh one single time and b) I have a month of King of Queens eps on DVR that I haven't gotten around to watching yet.  But hope came at Christmas time when I received exactly what I asked for- the complete first season of Arrested Development on DVD.  

  Not since The Simpsons in its prime has there been a show with such a rewatchability factor.  AD dumbs nothing down, it rewards a keen eye and it is simply fabulously written.  I have now seen each episode at least twice and I know I will watch them again and again as each viewing lets one catch something they didn't see or hear before.  Every installment either sets things up for the future or refers back to previous episodes either directly, indirectly, or with just a prop in the background.  This show takes the Simpsons freeze-frame gags to the next level.

  I think part of the fun is that the show makes you feel like you're in on a gag the rest of the world doesn't get.  That could be because of the show's unpopularity, but more so it's because of the "reward" writing I mentioned earlier.  You can watch an episode straight through without knowing the show and you will find it funny.  But when you have the entire storyline down and know the hows and whys of every character, it adds layer upon layer of enjoyment to each viewing.  I can't tell you how many times I noticed something I hadn't noticed before or how many times I had to rewind because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss a joke.  (Pretty much every line is a joke of some kind.  I swear.)  The show is brilliant and I am on my knees begging you to buy the DVD, get caught up, and then start watching Sundays at 8:30 on FOX.  You won't be sorry, and you just might keep a classic gem from being cancelled prematurely.

 ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT :: FOX Broadcasting Company

Amazon.com: DVD: Arrested Development - Season One

No comments: