Monday, August 15, 2005

Back to Normal

  We had a special building-wide meeting today to discuss the loss of Marvin and to offer people grief counseling.  The General Manager went on and on about how Marvin was always smiling and that's what he'll remember.  I thought to myself that I had never seen him smile.  In fact, I didn't know the guy at all.  So I shouldn't feel guilty about not feeling worse about the tragedy.  Maybe I felt like a bad person yesterday for being more emotionally invested in some television show, but it passed.  Marvin's death was a sober reminder that we can go at anytime.  Taking the day off to go riding could be the last decision you ever make.  That's how it goes with life and death.  I mentioned yesterday how the lesson I take from this is to enjoy the life you have.  Well, for better or worse I enjoy a life filled with television, music and other entertainment outlets.  If I stop doing what I enjoy because of someone dying then I am not practicing the lesson I claim to have learned.

That being said, I have not been able to stop thinking about the power of Six Feet Under.  These last few episodes have really pulled no punches to remind us why the show was so great in the first place.  Nate's death has given all the actors a chance to shine and provided the show with its most true to life and therefore most gutwrenching storyline.  You don't always get a chance to say a proper good-bye (just ask Marvin's family).  Plus, no matter how much of a jerk you are, there's always people who care about you and will be deeply affected by your death.  Nate may not have been a real prize, especially this season, but he was still a beloved brother and son and father.  When Maya said "Where's my daddy?" the first time, that's when tears formed and they lasted for the rest of the funeral episode.  Six Feet Under is the only show that ever made me tear up and now it's done it twice.  That record may never be broken!  (The first time was early on when David was struggling with coming out of the closet and broke down crying and asking God for help at the end of an episode.  He has been my favorite character ever since.) 

  So while last season was terrible and the show has struggled with the consistency of its quality for a while, there is no doubt that it has affected me and I will miss it when it is gone.  The first and second season DVDs will be on my Christmas list and hopefully I will get them so I can remind myself why this once was my favorite show.

 

Here's what I've been listening to this week: 

1. Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo- Bloodhound Gang- Music Archive Videos: Bloodhound Gang: 'Foxtrot'

2. Dance Music- The Mountain Goats

3. The Comeback- Shout Out Louds- Music Archive Videos: Shout Out Louds: 'The Comeback'

4. Side 2- Dressy Bessy 

5. My Doorbell- The White Stripes-  Music Archive Videos: 1 of 2: The White Stripes: 'My Doorbell'

6. Your Little Hoodrat Friend- The Hold Steady

7. Oh My God- The Kaiser Chiefs- Music Archive Videos: 1 of 5: Kaiser Chiefs: 'Oh My God'

8. Feel Good Inc.- Gorillaz- Music Archive Videos: Gorillaz: 'Feel Good Inc'

9. Girl- Beck- Music Archive Videos: 1 of 16: Beck: 'Girl'

10. I Was Never Young- Of Montreal

11. Swing Life Away- Rise Against- Music Archive Videos: 1 of 2: Rise Against: 'Swing Life Away'

12. I Turn My Camera On- Spoon- Music Archive Videos: Spoon: 'I Turn My Camera On'

13. Tear You Apart- She Wants Revenge

14. Gangsters and Thugs- Transplants- Music Archive Videos

15. In the Morning- The Coral

16. Chocolate- Snow Patrol- Music Archive Videos: 1 of 14: Snow Patrol: 'Chocolate'

17. Banquet- Bloc Party- Music Archive Videos: Bloc Party: 'Banquet'

18. Chicken Payback- A Band of Bees

19. Middle of Nowhere- Hot Hot Heat- Music Archive Videos

20. Hey Now Now- The Cloud Room

No comments: