Friday, November 11, 2005

The Best of 2005- #50

  Starting off the official countdown at # 50 is Helicopter by Bloc Party.

  You can watch the video here: Music Archive Videos: 1 of 2: Bloc Party :Silent Alarm :'Helicopter'

  AOL has more commericals than they used to, which is kind of annoying, but be patient- the video is a cartoon and worth the wait.

    If you're not into videos, which I really am not that big into myself, you can just listen to the song here: Bloc Party :Silent Alarm :'Helicopter'

blocparty.jpg  Helicopter is off the album Silent Alarm.

  Bloc Party

Hometown: London

Members: Singer/Guitarist Kele Okereke, guitarist Russell Lissack, bassist/singer Gordon Moakes, and drummer Matt Tong

Why Helicopter is #50:  The latest release getting radio play off of Silent Alarm is damn catchy, that's why.  I debated a long time over whether or not this song I had just been exposed to a few weeks ago should be included on a list I was making such heartbreaking cuts from.  In the end I decided that 1) The hook- "Are you hoping for a miracle?" crawls into your head and stays there for a long time and it's not annoying.  2) I don't know why the song is called Helicopter, but everytime I see a helicopter now, I start singing the song....who knows, maybe that's why it's called that.  That, my friends, is influence and any song that influences my everyday life MUST be included on a list of my favorite songs.  :-)

Visit Bloc Party at their home on the web, which is conveniently located at Blocparty.com.

BLOC PARTY: HOME

 

Are you hoping for a miracle?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I played this song on the computer and Laurie thought they were saying, "Are you happy for some Milk Duds?" I think that would've made for a better song.