Thursday, November 3, 2005

Countdown to the Countdown

  Nov. 11 is the day I will begin my second annual Top 50 Countdown where I slowly reveal my favorite songs from the past twelve months.  This year I will try to make the entries a little more in-depth since my indie kick really kicked in this year and no one knows much about the music I listen to.  Last night I consulted the notebook I keep over the course of the year and saw, to my horror, that in order to have a Top 50 I would have to cut 60 songs.  That's right, this year I liked 110 songs.  Worse still, this is the first time I can ever remember where I didn't have a clear cut winner for #1.  I have loved a lot of songs but none more than any other, such as last year with Float On.  I take this very seriously, as the songs I declare the Top 20 make it onto the CD I keep in my records and listen to occassionally.  I still have last year's disc memorized and can also recall my top ten from 2003.

--------------------------------------------------------

  I was saddened to read that Christian has decided to walk away from the WWE.  He was always underused and underappreciated in my book.  Just last week I voted for him to be in a match at the interactive pay-per-view.  He didn't come close to winning, of course, because he was a "bad guy".  Still, there were few who were funnier than Christian.  You could just tell he grew up as a fan and loved that he had fulfilled his dream.  In a form of entertainment that relies heavily on revisionist history, Captain Charisma could always be counted on for some hilarious throwaway line about his opponent's past gimmicks or some other piece of history we're not "supposed" to remember.  That's what made him so great to people like me, who have watched wrestling for years and have a good memory. 

christian.jpg

Christian, you will be missed by all of your "peeps". 

---------------------------------------------------

  Should be getting the revised first copy of my novel sometime this week.  After signing up for this process in February,it is finally getting really close to actually happening.  Thanks to my brother, for pointing out that I didn't have a link to the website except for the one entry.  Now you can head to the links on the side and go there.  Remember, you can read Chapter 1 absolutely free by clicking on "The Book".

-----------------------------------------------

  I am finally scrapping my poor car.  So hopefully, I will sell a lot of books and be able to get a new car with cash.  Well, not NEW new. 

------------------------------------------------

Top 25 of 2004

1. Float On- Modest Mouse

2. Take Me Out- Franz Ferdinand

3. A Favor House Atlantic- Coheed & Cambria

4. Silver and Cold- AFI

5. Ocean Breathes Salty- Modest Mouse

6. Somebody Told Me- The Killers

7. Ch-check It Out- Beastie Boys

8. Such Great Heights- The Postal Service

9. Followed the Waves- Melissa Auf de Mar

10. I Miss You- Blink 182

11. Buried a Lie- Senses Fail

12. I'm Not Okay (I Promise)- My Chemical Romance

13. Duality- Slipknot

14. Slow Hands- Interpol

15. Golden Touch- Razorlight

16. Take Your Mama- Scissor Sisters

17. Reptilia- The Strokes

18. Time is Running Out- Muse

19. Time and Time Again- Chronic Future

20. Big Brat- Phantom Planet

21. Primitive (The Way I Treat You)- Ambulance LTD

22. I Love You Cause I Have To- Dogs Die in Hot Cars

23. C'mon C'mon- The Von Bondies

24. Maps- The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

25. Born Too Slow- The Crystal Method

-----------------------------------------------------

  Final Notes:

-I just burned my fingers and dropped my poor little pizza on the floor.  Now I have to walk to Subway. 

-FOX is crazy if they think anyone is going to wait patiently from December to May to see how Prison Break turns out.  I hope the rumor that they are changing their minds about shelving it are true.

-Get well soon to Jason Bateman who just had the same exact throat surgery I had when I was a kid.  Hopefully he will be able to talk soon and they can get AD back into production.  Don't give FOX the excuse to dump it!

- More bad news- apparently NBC will be moving My Name is Earl to Thursday and FOX is moving the Idol results show to Thursday to get it away from LOST.  Holy log jam, Batman!  Don't they know that DVRs can only record two things at once?  This is going to be a nightmare.

- Kasey has been trying to play The Sims by herself and they keep dying.  Now she is afraid of the Grim Reaper.  But not to worry- she told me this morning that she is not afraid anymore because the Reaper on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy is not scary.  Who said cartoons can't be useful? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should just keep your list of 110 songs, then. Just put them in order of preference. BREAK THE RULES!

Maybe now Christian will get a REAL job. That's right. I went there.

"Yip Yip" to your book! :) I'm excited and I can't wait to buy my copy. Do you think they'll also have it on Amazon?

#6, #7, & #10-I agree were good songs that year. The rest are pretty much unknown to me. I need to up my indie cred!

#16 on your "Top 25 of 2004" list made me choke on my Pepsi.

#20-thanks to your funny story, I will now associate this song with it.

#22-the name of that band makes me want to cry.

#24-How long do you think it took them to come up with their band name? I'm guessing fifteen seconds.

#25-They do the "Bones" theme song!

You should have eaten that pizza off of the floor. I don't care HOW it tasted.

I agree about Fox being crazy. Those Fox jerks continue to tick me off on a regular basis. Oh, and I just want someone to kill T-Bag already. That guy is just plain GRATING.

I am REALLY hating this season's TV schedule.. pretty much all around!

I used to be OBSESSED with The Sims. A few summers ago right after I got it I would sit in front of the computer for HOURS at a time--not kidding--playing that game. It was CRAZY. But I have to say, I never died. However, now that I know they can die I am going to have to experiment. [insert evil laughter here]

Anonymous said...

Easy, My Name Is Earl wins in my book!

Nice song list, can't wait.

Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://www.bigoven.com/~swibirun

Anonymous said...

We do have the same taste in music. I think you said that to me once in a comment. I saw the Von Bondies once in Detroit several months ago. First time I saw/heard them and fell in love instantly! I stood right next to the lead singers twin bro. Then stood right across from the singer. I was too shy to ask for an autograph though. Ah,well. Hes hott too. hehe

Also, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE a song by Muse that I cant remember the name to right now. Damn. But I LOOOOOOOOOOVE it nonetheless. Take Me Out and Float On-Also rockin' songs! Good job.

I actually like Jason Bateman but I've only seen his show once. It was enjoyable.


Sorry, you dropped your pizza. That blows. I love pizza. I'd be sad if it were me.
~Tricia