Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Music Radar

My favorite songs this week are:

1. Not Going Home- The Elected

2. Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood- Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

3. Conceived- Beth Orton

4. Mr. November- The National

5. Wicked Light Sleeper- The Joggers

6. Hate Me- Blue October

7. Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games- Of Montreal

8. I Ain't Saying My Goodbyes- Tom Vek

9. The Wand- The Flaming Lips

10. But It's Better When We Do- Panic! at the Disco

  

  Faithful reader Tricia recently asked me what bands blew up in 2005 or are about to blow up now.  She did not realize that someone asking me what I thought about music makes me giddy with excitement because it happens so rarely.  Most people think the music I listen to sucks.  Anyway, I decided to answer Tricia's question in an entry and add it on as a bonus feature to the Top Ten.  The following are bands that have been getting some buzz and have made it onto The Radar   :)

   MORNINGWOOD

Website---> --= MORNINGWOOD =--    You can win their CD by playing the Morningwood Wet T-shirt Contest game- it is quite hilarious.

  Morningwood has gotten big and will just keep getting bigger in 2006. (Okay, minds out of the gutter!)  Their single Nth Degree is one of those songs that is so catchy, the indie scene cannot contain it.  I've heard it in a clothing store my wife shops at, I've heard it on the pop stations and it just debuted as "New Music" on the Sirius station, The Pulse (music for soccer moms).  Morningwood is fun, catchy and they have an attractive female as the lead- all good things. 

Other fine Morningwood songs are: NY Girls, Jetsetter, and Take Off Your Clothes.

 

ARCTIC MONKEYS

Website--->   Arctic Monkeys

Arctic Monkeys are coming to America.  They are already gigantic in the UK, where their album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not smashed a sales record held by Oasis.  Interesting album title considering that they have been dubbed yet another "next Beatles."

Their album is in stores now, they will be on Saturday Night Live on March 11 and you can hear their first single, I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor on any self-respecting alt rock station.

 

Well, that's it for now.  I'll post more bands to keep an eye on next week and just make one big boring music entry a week from now on.  :)

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Morningwood game IS pretty fun!

Anonymous said...

Kewl (as the emo kids spell it) ;)

I like Morningwoods name.

What about Imogen Heap? Shes AWESOME!!!!! Sounds like nobody ever before!
~Tricia