Tuesday, June 6, 2006

The Topics of This Entry Get Progressively Lighter

  I keep meaning to write in my journal- I can't believe it's been a whole week between entries.  It's not like I live the busiest life.  I'm going to try to remember everything I've been meaning to talk about.

1.  The end of the world as we know it:

  I'm not very political but for various reasons, in the three presidential elections I've participated in, I've voted Republican.  Having said that, if there were an election tomorrow, I would vote for Al Gore.  I haven't even seen his movie (An Inconenient Truth- not yet in wide release) and he has me utterly convinced that global warming is real and has the potential to cause a man-made apocalypse in the not too distant future.  Alternative energy sources must be seriously explored within the next decade or we will just have more and more tsunamis and hurricanes and other heretofore unimaginable catastrophes.  Global warming is not a political issue and it is not anti-oil propaganda.  It has been proven and unless we change our ways soon, the worst is yet to come. 

As for voting for Al Gore- it won't be possible- he is so dedicated to this issue that he will not even seek nomination. 

2. Better Yourself!

  This past weekend my wife and I went shopping for warm weather clothing and I hit rock bottom.  There is some XL clothing that are too tight for me.  This discovery disturbed me so much that I finally got serious about excercise and dieting.  After all, I am an ancient 30 years old now and it's only going to get tougher to change my metabolism in the future.  In the last three days I have eaten no junk food whatsoever and have been drinking mostly water.  Even when I went to Subway today, I did not get bacon.  Gasp!  Yes, I am that serious. 

As for the exercise, I walk around the block to get warmed up and then I start jogging until I can't take it anymore.  Each day I jog a little further.  My muscles are paying the price, but I feel like if I can make it to a point where I can see results, then it will be worth it.  I'm about 230 now and would like to get under the deuce.  I think that is a lofty, yet attainable goal.

  I did get some clothes, however.  My wife helped me to start looking a little more fashionable.  I was going to model for you, but that'sa different entry since the pics have not been snapped yet.  I caught the Subway girl looking at me twice, so I think it must be true that clothes make the man.

3. Wrestling is fake...kind of...

  Last night's episode of WWE Monday Night Raw was the first one in a long time that I did not delete immediately after watching.  Not because it was some fantastic show, but for one hilarious segment where poor ring announcer Lillian Garcia got accidentally knocked off the ring apron before a match started.  Now that's not funny, but what IS funny is the "show must go on" mentality that the production has.  The poor woman was audibly whimpering in front of them as the match started, yet the announcers and wrestlers ignored her. 

  It got better.  As Lillian was being helped to the back, the crowd started applauding and chanting her name.  Now on a live broadcast, there was no way the announcers could ignore that, so they very reluctantly had to acknowledge what had happened.  Even the "bad guy" angrily shouted "Who cares about her?" in mid headlock.  Now that's the way to improv some heat for your character.  Then, ever the consummate pro, announcer Jerry Lawler tried to steer things back to normalcy by blaming the accident on the presence of the reckless ECW wrestlers- which was the theme of the night.  Never mind that this match had nothing to do with the ECW angle.  Anyway, that's why I'm saving it for a while.  Seeing Lillian go flying and the aftermath was the funniest unscripted thing I've ever seen, including all of reality television.

4. The murder has been coloneled!

  Everytime I hear Kasey screw up her line in the upcoming school play, I am reminded of that botched line from the play in Sons and Daughters.  It's a shame ABC didn't give that show a reprieve the way NBC did for The Office.  It was pretty funny and the more I think about it, the more I'm going to miss it.  As for The Office, which is now officially the funniest show on TV, make sure you go to NBC.com on July 13th.  They are going to have a string of ten minute shorts airing over the summer showing Angela, Kevin and Oscar attempting to recover some missing money from accounting.  A comedy!  A mystery!  Who can resist?

5.I know that I'm funnier than Captain Happy.

  Glad to see Last Comic Standing come back last week.  I just hope NBC has the good sense to air the whole show this time.  I also hope that they tweak the format to have more head-to-head eliminations and less performers in the finale.  Tune in tonight at 9 to see who makes it into the house.

-----

That's all I can think of for today.  The Top Ten is still topped by Gnarls Barkley.  In the car today I heard Crazy on the soccer mom channel so it's coming to your radio soon.  I also heard the song on an MTV commercial my sister was watching last night.  Gnarls Barkley is going to be huge.  Remember, you saw them first on MY Radar.  Who hooks you up better than The VCH?   Here's what I've been listening to this week:  

1. Crazy- Gnarls Barkley

2. Elevate Myself- Grandaddy

3. Phenomena- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

4. Hands Open- Snow Patrol

5. The Number- Pretty Girls Make Graves

6. Gone Daddy Gone- Gnarls Barkley

7. Oh My- Mellowdrone

8. Miss Muder- AFI

9. This Isn't Farm Life- Essex Green

10. Blackened Blue Eyes- The Charlatans UK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Global warming upsets me. It's OBVIOUS that we have a huge problem, yet so many people just ignore it. Grrrrr!

I need to lose some weight as well. I could stand to lose about thirty pounds or so. But I don't have the motivation you do!

That wrestling thing made me laugh out loud, and I don't even watch it! I wish I could see it.

I am writing the songs down that you post about so I can download them. I mean..cough cough..purchase them...