Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Big Friday Entry...on Saturday!

For reasons beyond my control, I couldn't write in my journal yesterday.  See, I got my Playstation working, so that eats up a lot of my time. 

MUSIC

Here's what I've been listening to this week:

1. Fidelity- Regina Spektor

2. Cobrastyle- Teddybears

3. Le Disko- Shiny Toy Guns

4. Love Me or Hate Me- Lady Sovereign

5. Penny on the Train Track- Ben Kweller

6. Hate (I Really Don't Like You)- Plain White T's

7. Bang Bang, You're Dead- Dirty Pretty Things

8. Get Myself Into It- The Rapture

9. Your Touch- The Black Keys

10. Fire Island, AK- The Long Winters

11. The Compromise- The Format

12. Well Thought Out Twinkles- Silversun Pickups

13. Stalking You on Myspace- John B

14. LDN- Lily Allen

15. Better- Regina Spektor

16. Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above- CSS

17. Long Distance Call- Phoenix

18. Alive With the Glory of Love- Say Anything

19. Stay- Small Sins

20. Suzie- Boy Kill Boy

It's the time of year where I start getting excited about composing my end of the year Best of (Insert Year) music list.  Actually, I'm always excited about that because I'm a big loser.  :-)  Now that I have the ability to post songs in here, I am definitely going to bring back my annual 50 songs in 50 days, even though I have never been able to stay focused on it for the duration.  But I'm really going to try this year!

There's a promo on Sirius 26 Left of Center that says "We're not music snobs, we're music geeks!"  So true.  Though I'm probably both.

------------

FOOTBALL

I feel really good about my football picks and you know what that means.  I am going to do very poorly this Sunday.  Here they are anyway:

Ravens (-11) over Raiders- The Raiders looked like the worst team in football last Monday.  Now on a short week they have to travel across the country.  A recipe for a damn ugly game.

Colts (-13) over Texans- Only one week in the books and already it looks like Houston not taking Reggie Bush is the stupidest move in the history of sports.  Like the Red Sox getting rid of Babe Ruth bad.

Browns (+10.5) over Bengals- I can't explain this one.  I just have a feeling.  That doesn't happen too often and it probably means nothing other than "I'm dumb"  but I can't help it.  I have a feeling.

Bills (+6.5) over Dolphins- Culpepper proved in Pittsburgh that a new uniform didn't improve his erratic play.  I think the Bills will be motivated by their close but no cigar performance in New England last week.

Lions (+8.5) over Bears- Lot of red flags in this one, especially stupid Roy Williams guaranteeing victory (and also saying his team almost scored 40 last week when they actually scored 6 and lost).  Still, I think the over/under on this game should be 8, not the line.

Vikings (+2) over Panthers- The Panthers are nothing without Steve Smith.  I'm assuming he's not playing, which might bite me.

Giants (+3) over Eagles- Homer pick.  The Giants schedule is so unfairly brutal that I could seriously see them being the most talented 5-11 team in history.

And here it is:  Colts (arguably the best team), at Philly (tough division rival), at Seattle (Super Bowl team last season), Redskins (division rival), at Atlanta (playoff caliber), at Dallas (tough division rival and 4th road trip in 6 games), Buccaneers (playoff team), Texans (bad team, but the Giants lost to them the only other time they played), Bears (playoff team), at Jacksonville (playoff team), at Tennessee (bad team, but still a road game which is never a gimmee), Cowboys (division rival), at Carolina (playoff team), Eagles (division rival), Saints (Reggie Bush!), at Washington (division rival).  

Excuse me, I may have to cry.

Falcons (-5.5) over Bucs- No reason other than the Falcons won last week and the Bucs lost.  That kind of reasoning never works out!   Um...until now!

Packers (+2) over Saints- Yes, the Pack stinks, but I can't see the Saints winning two road games in a row.  They're still the Saints!

Rams (-3) over 49ers- No comment.   That's not sarcasm, I just can't think of anything.

Seahawks (-7) over Cardinals- I'm on the Arizona bandwagon, but I don't see them being good enough to compete in the NFC champ's house.

Patriots (-6) over Jets- A lot of experts think the Jets can compete because they won last week and the Patriots looked bad in their own win.  Don't be fooled.  It's the freaking Jets.  They may have gotten their ONLY win last week.

Chargers (-11.5) over Titans- The Titans may have had some fight at home against a bad Jets team, but they can't compete on the road with a good team.

Broncos (-10.5) over Chiefs- Money in the bank!  The Chiefs are in real trouble without their quarterback.

Cowboys (-5.5) over Redskins- I think the Boys will remember what happened at home against Washington last year (they dominated the game but lost on two long passes late in the game).  Also, Washington is still trying to get a newly installed offense down pat, as shown by their LACK of offense.

Jaguars (pick em) over Steelers- I'm hoping Big Ben doesn't play because I would love to bet against Charlie Batch on the road, but even if Ben plays, I still like the Jags.  They are quietly one of the best teams in the league.

----------

CAPTAIN CRANKY

You know what's been bugging the hell out of me?  The cell phones that attach to your ear.  The first time I saw one, I thought it was some fancy, trying to make hearing aids hip kind of thing.  But when I started seeing them over and over, I realized what it was.  There just can't be that many escaped mental patients talking to themselves in one Target. 

Besides the fact that it makes you look like you're talking to yourself, the thing is just tacky.  It looks really stupid.  I can see wearing one in the car because it gives you the hands free capability, but walking around the store...it's just....stupid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the ear cell phone thingies.  They look RIDICULOUS!  People think they look cool, but you are right, they just look plain STUPID!  I hate cellphones though, so anything to do with them I will make fun of.  LOL!  Playstation working huh?  My son just got the new Star Wars Lego Star Wars and already beat it in 2 days.  Keeps him busy though and out of my hair!
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

A) I hate those cell phones, too. They're annoying. And really, who needs to use them ALL the time?!?! Weirdos, that's whom.

B) I'm listening to "Fidelity" right now. Ohhh yeahhhhhh.

C) It scares me how similar our music lists are. 86.

D) I can't wait for your end of the year list to see how many of the same ones we have. Another 86 possibility, eh? I'm Canadian. Sue me.

E) I just wanted to make an "E."

F) I'm a music snob AND a music geek. I am so picky when it comes to what I like in entertainment--movies, music, actors/actresses, etc. I'm just cool.