Friday, September 22, 2006

Not a correction

  The name of yesterday's entry was a reference to that Spanish soccer announcer who shouts for a minute straight when someone scores.  The Spanish word for goal is gol.  I would never make a spelling error that egregious!  And yes, I did reach my goal of being under 200 lbs.  Since I still look pretty fat, I've set the next goal at high school weight, which was 170.

-----

This Week's Top Ten:

1. Fidelity- Regina Spektor

2. Cobrastyle- Teddybears

3. Get Myself Into It- The Rapture

4. Your Touch- The Black Keys

5. Hate (I Really Don't Like You)- Plain White T's

6. Penny On The Train Track- Ben Kweller

7. Fire Island, AK- The Long Winters

8. O Valencia!- The Decemberists

9. Half Dead- The Mountain Goats

10. Well Thought Out Twinkles- Silversun Pickups

---

Captain Cranky

  It's well documented (by me) that I was upset about missing the World Series of Pop Culture.  (And even more upset when I found out that my cousin, my partner of choice, KNEW about it and didn't act!  DOH!)  So, needless to say, I was intrigued when my wife told me about AOL's Gold Rush- use your pop culture knowledge to win a spot on a game show!  So I played, and you know what?  It's nauseating.  It's not so much a challenge to see who knows the most about pop culture, it's more like a challenge to see who can be the most obedient consumer.  The whole game is a gigantic ad!  Everytime I do a puzzle of a Coke ad, or scour People Magazine's website trying to find the page that has an answer on it, it makes me feel dirty!  BOO to AOL for this hideous offense of a "game".  I will not be winning. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also played the first two rounds of Gold Rush.  It's STUPID and not worth the time.  It lets you try and try and try again to get the answers correct and hey, you can even look them up on AOL if you don't know them.  Not much of a challenge that's for sure!  Congrats again on being under 200!!!  :)
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I love "Well Thought Out Twinkles," but I love their song "Lazy Eye" even more.

Gold Rush is the devil. DEVIL!