Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Long Weekend

  This weekend was an interesting contrast compared to the one before it.  The wedding weekend was full of fun and adventure and this one that just ended was full of work and misery.

  I don't talk about work much because it's boring- not that being there is boring, but it just doesn't make for interesting things to talk about.  Anyway, about six months ago, Wal-mart changed up the way trailers get sent to Centerpoints (that's the area I work in).  This move greatly affected my schedule for reasons I won't go into.  The bottom line is, instead of walking in on Saturday morning to 30-40 trailers to unload with more coming in all weekend, we have been walking in to 10 or less with nothing coming in until Monday afternoon. 

  Up until this point, it has been the post-Christmas slow season for the entire place and everyone has been taking long-term voluntary lay-off or burning through vacation time.  But this weekend, things picked up for the rest of the place and they pulled that old line on us- you are all Wal-mart associates and you have to staff the building where needed.  So every single one of us, who had gotten so used to taking our time on stuff and mopping the floors to kill the hours now suddenly got sent into the bowels of the warehouse where no one goes voluntarily. 

  On Saturday, my boss shut us down completely and sent the entire department to the shipping dock for back-breaking labor.  Sunday and Monday were in different places, for me anyway, but there's just something about not doing what you normally do that makes the day drag.

  Also, I was sick Sunday night and went to bed almost immediately after I got home.  There's an entire day of my life I'll never get back.  

  I'm getting bored just writing this, so I'll get to the worse stuff.

  Homer the hamster is no longer with us.  Poor Kasey had to learn about death just five days after getting her new pet.  My wife is pretty sure we can return it for a new one since we have the receipt.

  The capper to the weekend was finding out that my father got fired from a job he loved.  I won't go into why, but it sounded really unfair.

  The only good news is that my cousin's friend who I mentioned in the wedding entry has come up with some stuff and when I see it, I might finally have a cover for my book. 

 Homer, we hardly knew ye.

Chewie.jpg 

Chewbacca mourns our hamster.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, poor Homer!!!  You didn't even get a chance to really smell that stink of a hamster!  You can get another one, but I would suggest a gerbil.  They are MUCH more hardy, and get TWO from the same litter, they will keep each other company and will live longer because of it.  Sorry about Walmart and how they are treating you, that really sucks!  And, sorry about your Dad and his job.  I bet it had something to do with him being older and being given the "golden handshake" right?  They do that at my husband's work ALL the time for people that are there just to keep the insurance.  It is a terrible world we are living in isn't it?  :(
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

That Chewbacca picture made me pee my pants. Thanks a lot.