Wednesday, April 27, 2005

So Far...

  Weddings and exhaustion have kept my weekly list of favorite songs on the backburner for a while so I thought I'd try to make up for it today by highlighting some of my favorite songs so far this year.  The year is already 1/3 of the way over, but we are going to try not to focus on how depressing time flying by actually is.  Here now, in no particular order, are my early nominees for best songs of the year.  Though with 8 months to go, it is unlikely that even half of these will make my year-end list.  Nevertheless, I like these songs and think you should listen to them.

interpol.jpg  "Evil"  by Interpol  Interpol : Antics : 'Evil'  My daughter loves this video because it has a puppet.  And if that doesn't make you watch a video, I don't know what will.

"Ohio is for Lovers" by Hawthorne Heights  Hawthorne Heights : The Silence in Black and White : 'Ohio Is for Lovers'  AOL actually debuted this song late last year and I didn't really care for it.  Now Sirius plays it a lot and it has been drilled into my head.  Repetition often breeds results, kids.

"The Bucket" by Kings of Leon  Kings Of Leon : Aha Shake Heartbreak : 'The Bucket'  A lot of great music must come out over the summer and fall to make this one drop out of its Top 10 potential for 2005.  I LOVE this song.  I also get quite a kick out of Kasey singing '18 balding star'.

"Sugar, We're Goin' Down" by Fall Out Boy   Fall Out Boy : Evening Out With Your Girlfriend : 'Sugar, We're Goin' Down'  I like to think that this band is named after the obscure Simpsons character, but I'm not going to bother to find out.  Catchy song, even if I have no idea what they are saying other than the title.  Something about a gun...

"Walking With A Ghost"  by Tegan & Sara  Tegan & Sara : So Jealous : 'Walking with a Ghost'  I have liked this song for a long time, but hearing it cross over to the Sirius pop station and on TV shows makes me believe that these twins are going to be HUGE.  But I saw them first!  Check my old Top Tens! 

"Chocolate" by Snow Patrol  Snow Patrol : Final Straw : Chocolate  Sometimes you just like sappy love songs in spite of yourself, and this is the third time SP has done that to me!  The video is chaotic and will certainly hold your attention.

torrini.jpg  "Sunnyroad"  by Emiliana Torrini  Emiliana Torrini : Fisherman's Woman : 'Sunny Road'   I already know that this song is guaranteed to be on my Best of 2005 CD at the end of the year.  I have until then to prepare myself for the ridicule I will suffer when I play said CD at work.  But I can't help it- I love this song, and I love saying 'Emiliana Torrini'.  Try it; it's fun.

"All That I've Got" by The Used  The Used : In Love and Death : 'All That I've Got'  I don't think I will ever love a Used song as much as I love 'The Taste of Ink', but this one is a solid second.

"Jerk it Out"  by Caesars  Caesars : Paper Tigers : 'Jerk It Out'  I expect this song to be a mega hit for the entire summer.  It's just a lot of fun and it sounds like something you would hear blasting out of people's cars in the 'windows-down' weather.

"Dakota" by Stereophonics  Stereophonics : Language. Sex. Violence. Other? : 'Dakota'  I don't entirely love this song- for now it's pleasant background music that I wouldn't turn off.  I'm leaving it room to grow on me.

"Love in a Trashcan" by The Raveonettes  The Raveonettes : Pretty in Black : 'Love in a Trashcan'  This song has got a little surfing vibe going for it.  I don't know how else to explain it but that's what I think of when I hear it.

"Finding Out True Love is Blind" by Louis XIV  Louis XIV : The Best Little Secrets Are Kept : 'Finding Out True Love Is Blind'   How can you not get at least one chuckle out of a song that promotes racial harmony through promiscuity?

 

Other Contenders I have no comment on:

"Honest Mistake" by The Bravery  The Bravery : Bravery : 'An Honest Mistake'

"Galvanize" by The Chemical Brothers  The Chemical Brothers : Push the Button : 'Galvanize'

"Daft Punk is Playing At My House" by LCD Soundsystem  LCD Soundsystem : LCD Soundsystem : 'Daft Punk is Playing in my House'

 

Even More Contenders (whose songs are not available on AOL):

"Decent Days and Nights" by The Futureheads

"You Can't Steal My Love" by Mando Diao

"I Predict A Riot" by The Kaiser Chiefs

"We Will Become Silhouettes" by The Postal Service

"Strange Design" by Midnight Movies

"Looking at the World From the Bottom of a Well"  by Mike Doughty

"Worlds Apart" by ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead

"Spit it Out" by Brendan Benson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard any of the songs on that list. We used to listen to the same music.

Anonymous said...

You must not listen to 102.7 WEQX very often then.  You should appreciate that you live in an area that actually has an alternative station.  :-P