Saturday, July 2, 2005

"Soylent Green is made out of people!"

  Sorry to drop a bombshell like that in my title, but I'm sure you all knew that already.  It's pretty common knowledge.  Anyway, I watched Soylent Green a couple of weeks ago on Turner Movies and I could only think one thing.  This should be remade. 

  Now normally I have the same stance on movie remakes that I do on musical remakes.  Though I can more easily forgive movie remakes because of advances in technology, fashion and whatnot.  A movie can look dated a lot more easily than a song can sound dated.  This is why Soylent Green should be remade.  It's a great story about a bleak future, yet I kept getting distracted by the overall cheesiness of the look.  This is the future, yet they have reverted back to technology from 1973?  And the neckerchief, oh God the neckerchief!  How can I care that Soylent Green is people when Charlton Heston is wearing that thing? 

  Imagine how horrible an overpopulated NYC could look now with the assistance of CGI masses fighting over their Soylent fix!  Get Spielberg!  Stick Denzel in the Heston role and let's get this remake going.

  With more and more unnecessary "re-imaginings" coming out (Willy Wonka and the Longest Yard come to mind), what film would YOU like to see updated for the big screen?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definately NOT this movie!  That movie freaked me out so badly when I was a kid that I had nightmares for years!!!!!!!!!!!  I have no clue what should be remade.  I think that all movies should stay in the original way they were done.  I guess I am old fashioned in that way.
Hugs and love, Lisa