Friday, March 31, 2006

The Pre-Op Entry

  Monday at 10:15, I will be gassed and sliced and when I wake up, the carpal tunnel in my left wrist will be free flowing again.  I don't write much on weekends, so I figure this will be the last entry before the surgery.  I don't know what to expect about the after effects.  I might be able to type one-handed, I might not.  I might be able to but not want to.  I just don't know!  Damn it, Jim, I'm a writer, not a doctor!

  That was a little Star Trek humor.  Anyone remember that show?

  ---------------

  Today I went to the very first showing of Slither all by myself.  My wife thinks it's weird that I would go to the movies by myself, but I don't think so.  I see men by themselves all the time.  What I have never seen is a woman by herself.  Women are more social creatures, I suppose.  Men just want to see a movie.

  Anyway, the movie was not as great as I had hyped myself into thinking it would be.  Then again, I didn't feel like I had wasted my money either.  It's not scary enough to be a horror movie and not funny enough to be a comedy.  It's one of those movies that does not lend itself to genre classsification. 

  Though I am usually scared of zombie movies, it turns out this isn't really much of a zombie flick in the "traditional" sense.  They say it on the commercial so it's not really a spoiler, but the slimy red slugs burrow into people and turn them into a hive mind to serve the alien that crashes on Earth in the beginning and does a body snatch. 

  The movie has one of my favorite bad actors, Michael Rooker, and since it takes a while for him to change into an alien, the first half hour is like the Michael Rooker show.  Good times.

  All in all I'd give the movie a generous B+ just because.  If you're a horror/gore/comedy fan, you will enjoy it. 

  -------------

  In other news, I got myself a new cell phone.  I figured I will need one soon when I am going back and forth to work.  It's good to have in case of an emergency.  It is a camera phone and I tried to take a picture of the wild turkey that strolled through the backyard this morning, but it didn't come out too well.

  I don't know what it is about a new phone that makes you want to play around with it like a new toy.  I had zero interest in getting one other than for emergencies, yet there I was looking through all the songs available to DL as ring tones and just generally messing around with the phone.  Good times!

------------

  I am very excited because this Sunday I am driving down to NJ to watch Wrestlemania at my cousin's house.  His GF works for the cable company, so they get PPVs at bargain prices.  Believe me, I would not have paid 50 bucks for a wrestling show.  Even if it is four hours.  I even got my brother to come along, so hopefully this will be the start of getting him back in the game so Sean and I can have a tie breaker the next time we discuss dream matches for hours at a time on a long beach day.

  WRESTLEMANIA Predictions:

  Triple H over John Cena-  HHH has dropped the title at the last two Manias and it has been far too long since he has hogged all the TV time as champ.  With Cena suddenly getting booed, H might even turn himself into a hero.

  Randy Orton over Kurt Angle and Rey Misterio- As much as I would love to see Angle retain, the fact is that this was an unplanned title run and it means little as far as long term plans go.  As for Rey, I can't help but notice that they have started to downplay the "inspiration" he has been getting from the late Eddie Guerrero.  And if he doesn't have that angle, then I can't see them making such a small guy the champ.

  Ric Flair wins the Money in the Bank Ladder Match- Every time Flair is on TV, they mention how he might still have one more title run in him.  I think HHH will take the title, drop it one more time to his pal Flair and then get it back.  That would get Flair up to 17 reigns while taking HHH from 10 to 12.  We all know that H's goal is to have the most title reigns ever and this is a good way for him to continue down that road.  As for the other guys in the ladder match: RVD- maybe.  Shelton Benjamin, Matt Hardy, Fit Finlay, and Bobby Lashley- no chance.

  Carlito and Chris Masters over Kane and Big Show- Kane and Big Show are just too dominant for the wimpy tag division and too valuable as singles guys to hold onto the belts any longer.  Plus, the 'tag champs who don't really like each other' angle hasn't been done in a while and I think eventually, Carlito will turn face and break up the team. 

  Shawn Michaels over Vince McMahon- HBK has been doing every humilating segment asked of him.  It just has to result in good triumphing in the end.  Or does it?  Knowing Vince's ego, I'm just not sure on this one.

  Chris Benoit over JBL- I think JBL could make a good run with this title, but I haven't picked any other champions to retain so I thought I'd give the nod to Benoit on a whim.  JBL will take it down the road.

  Undertaker over Mark Henry- There is no chance in hell of Undertaker giving up his double digit undefeated streak at Wrestlemania to a guy who won't be on the roster this time next year.

  Mickie James over Trish Stratus- Trish has had the women's belt for almost a year and a half- time for someone else to run with it for a while.

  The Boogeyman over Booker T and Sharmell- Boogeyman has won all his matches with one move.  They might drag it out a little with Booker T running scared, but I can't see him even putting a dent in Boogey's armor.

  Mick Foley over Edge- This is my upset pick.  Doesn't seem logical for a retired guy to go over a guy being groomed as a champion, but the Cactus Jack hardcore legend has taken such a beating lately.  Every time Foley comes back,  he loses.  I think he is going to get the "one WM moment" he has been looking for and pull off the upset- of course while still making Edge look really good.

  Finally, the Playboy Pillow fight will go to a No Contest.

-------------------------

Okay, that's it.  See you when I'm better, kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I didn't get here sooner, I hope you are doing well after your surgery!  I know you are probably going to be out of commission for a bit on the computer, but I hope everything is okay!  My hubby wanted to buy that wrestling thingamajig but I wouldn't let him.  He is always disappointed and made it a point to say to me a few years ago "NEVER let me do that again!", so I made sure to not let him!  LOL!  I have to admit that I have a major crush on The Edge (is he still called that?  LOL!).  He is GORGEOUS!  Slither huh?  GROSSSS!  No thank you!  I have gone to two movies by myself I'll have you know.  I didn't like it, but I did it.  :)
Hugs and love,
Lisa