Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Bearded Woman... and some ranting

  My sister-in-law stuck what I believe to be construction paper on my daughter's face earlier tonight.  That was funny enough, but the muscle man pose puts it over the top.  Why is it that the only time I put her in here is when she has things stuck to her face?  Is that some bizarre psychological thing or just a coincidence?  I should go back and see when I posted "Sticker Face" because if it was one year to the day, that would be freaky.

-------------

  I finally read The Da Vinci Code just to see what all the fuss is about.  The fuss that's getting bigger and bigger with the movie coming out soon.  I enjoyed it (read it in less than 2 days).  It is well-written, thoroughly researched and absolutely engaging.  Though it is very clear the book received all its attention because of its subject matter, not for its predictable plot twists or perfectly ordinary action sequences.

  As for the uproar, boycotts, banishments and whatnot:  I can see why people would be upset over what the book claims, but even if I were devout in my religion, which I am not, I would not be upset.  Why?  Because of two words right on the front cover.  "A Novel."  While I have no doubt that the research done for this book is authentic, it is just one representation of ideas presented in a more entertaining fashion than most others. 

  I am reminded of the character in the film From Dusk Till Dawn- a preacher who has stopped believing in God.  "I don't care if you're a preacher, a priest, a nun, a rabbi or a Buddhist monk. Many, many times during your life you will look at your reflection in a mirror and ask yourself: 'Am I a fool?'"   Whether or not the revelations made in the book are true or not is almost irrelevant.  I'm sure the war between Christianity and paganism was real.  But anyone who reacts so outrageously to beliefs that attack or counter their own should look inward, because the real issue is faith.  Anyone who thinks Da Vinci Code: The Movie should be banned and boycotted is simply afraid.  Afraid that their religion will be made to look foolish.  Orperhaps afraid that they have chosen the wrong religion and are about to be exposed.  I do not believe The Da Vinci Code is entirely factual.  I also don't believe the Bible is entirely factual.  The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

  I just wish the fanaticism would end.  Okay, most religions are founded on BS, and Christianity is no different.  Are we mad at Dan Brown for pointing that out or are we mad because deep down we know he's probably right to some degree and we are just as foolish as all the other religions if we believe in every little detail of the faith we were born into?  If there is one true faith, then a large percentage of the world is going to hell automatically, right?  Come on!   All the reactions this book is getting is simply a reflection of people's own insecurities.  

  I'm no religion expert.  Believe what you want to believe and I will do the same.  But it's a fact that getting so bent out of shape over a novel does no one any good in the long run.    

-------------

  I live a life full of guilt.  24 hours a day I feel like I should be writing.  When I'm out and about, I take mental notes of people, situations and everything around me.  When I get home, I do nothing.  I become discouraged by every idea I have.  Usually whatever I think of will turn out to be remarkably similar to something I just read or saw on TV.  They say there are no new ideas, and sometimes I believe it.  I feed my procrastination by telling myself that it might hurt too much to type or by agreeing with my wife when she says I shouldn't start anything because I won't be able to type anymore in a couple of weeks when I get surgery # 2.  I try to take comfort in the fact that most really famous writers are older than I am.  But is it because they have more ideas and life experiences to draw from or is it because they paid their dues back when they were my age?  Dues I am not paying by watching movies from Netflix.  Are all slackers filled with this much self-loathing?  I wish just the fact that I feel guilty about not using my writing skills was enough motivation to start something.

----------------

  Did you see my projected winners ofThe Amazing Race come in next to last?  I'm starting to sweat that one.  I hope they become a little less cocky now.

  And Survivor had what I believe is only the second medical elimination.  Get well, Bruce, though I'm sure you are by now.  I hope Terry wins because he is clearly the best player.

  I think this may have been the most all over the place entry I have ever written.   Good night!    

EDIT***  Sticker Face was on May 4, so close, but no cigar.  I am enjoying reading my archives, though.  Last year's wedding was classic. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO on your religion opinion!  I couldn't agree more with you!  Hmmm, maybe a book about Paganism is a good place to start.  What do you think?  Call it "DaGoddess Code".  Hee-hee, I crack myself up sometimes!  ;)

Your daughter is ADORABLE by the way with the goatee and 'stach by the way!  Love seeing her picture and don't see it often enough.  So, get off your procrastination butt and post more will ya'?  
Hugs and love,
Lisa who is very impatiently waiting for the 2nd book of yours

Anonymous said...

So many thoughts! Yet the one that sticks out, to me, is the guilt of the brain working, working and then....the writing just sits.
I can feel this paragraph and relate to your words.
I make the attempts NOT to let the guilt ride me too much. The frustration just clouds up too much. I think that the words just are not there yet, not ready. Keep observing, keep just placing words, it will form...