Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Top Ten and S.O.S. (Some Other Stuff)

  I have not yet gotten my Sirius on the computer problem figured out yet, but I did log some car time this week.  Therefore, the Top Ten gets overhauled as it does from time to time.  I discoverd quite a bit of new music this week.

1. New English- Ambulance LTD

2. Skeleton Key- Margot & The Nuclear So and So's

3. Gold Lion- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

4. Song With a Mission- The Sounds

5. Crazy- Gnarls Barkley

6. I Want You So Hard- Eagles of Death Metal

7. The Number- Pretty Girls Make Graves

8. Fraud in the 80's- Mates of State

9. Shine a Light- Wolf Parade

10. Cheated Hearts- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

This month on the Radar is Gnarls Barkley:

Official site for Gnarls Barkley

Gnarls Barkley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the "tradition" of Gorillaz, Gnarls Barkley seems to be a fictional British band that's really a side project for some well established singers.  "Crazy" is a good song, and is a huge hit in Great Britain.  I think you will be hearing a lot of it. 

---------------------

 The three new shows I mentioned a while back have made their runs and here are my final verdicts:

Sons and Daughters: It grew on me and I hope it comes back.  Supposedly the head of ABC likes it, so it has a good chance.  But we've heard that before- remember how much FOX honchos loved Arrested Development?  Final Grade: B+

The Loop: Absolutely hilarious.  It would be criminal if this show didn't come back.  The upside: a DVD set of 6-8 episodes won't be very expensive.  Final Grade: A

Free Ride: The remaining episodes weren't as good as the first one I saw.  It was just okay in the long run and I won't miss it if it disappears.  Final Grade: C

-----------

  We went to see the number 1 movie in America, Silent Hill, on Sunday.  Perhaps I had an unfair advantage by playing the video game, but I did not think it was as confusing as it's being made out to be.  It got terrible reviews.  But what do reviews know?  I thought it looked great, was just a little bit scary, and was extra creepy.  I loved the little nods to the video game: the main character running from map to map to make sure she was going the right way.  (In the game, sometimes you need the map just to know which direction you're facing.)  Also, the hidden hotel room that leads to a hole in the wall between two buildings.  The only thing they didn't have to do that was in the game was figure out some cryptic puzzles.  If you played the game Silent Hill, it makes the movie that much better.  They were more loyal to the source than most "game movies".   

Grade: B 

No comments: