Friday, December 22, 2006

"VCH Radio" Status Update (+#11)

  I'm officially an idiot.  I forgot about the space limitations of sending files through e-mail.   Yesterday I recorded a wonderful program that I thought was really great.  I was witty and somewhat engaging and the whole thing came out better than expected.  I really enjoyed doing it and listening to myself.  The problem is that it was an hour and fifteen minutes and the size of the file came in at a whopping 34MB.  After AOL mail failed me, I searched around to try and find if another mail service has a bigger capacity, but AOL is in actuality quite a bit larger than most.  Our Time Warner mail service only allows a transfer of 10MB, same with Yahoo, while AOL allows 16.

I tried compressing the show into a zip file, but that only knocked it down to 31MB.  I tried splitting the recording into two or three parts but I don't know if or how you can do that once the recording is complete.  You can split it while you're recording, but I don't know if you can do it after, so that was no help either.

There are options.  There are services out there that offer ways to send large files to people or at least allows you to post the file, give people a password and have them pick it up at the site.  The free version of this only allows three downloads per file, however.  You have to pay 3 dollars a month for unlimited.  With the tepid response I got to the introduction of my show, I don't think this is worth it.  Clearly, I only have two readers to begin with.  I can't tell you how disappointed I was to get home from work the last two days and have no mail.

Option 2 is probably the way I will go even though I don't want to.  That would be to cut the show down to a half hour or so.  The first half hour I recorded as a test run came in at 13.3MB, which is within AOL's capacity to send by mail. 

It's just a shame that no one will be able to hear the program I recorded yesterday because it was really fun and funny (I actually made myself laugh as I listened back to it.)  If there is anyone out there lurking in the shadows, please join my mailing list and expand my audience so I can justify joining a large file transfer program!  

 ----

  I am so crestfallen right now that I barely have the enthusiasm to tell you that #11 is Snakes on a Plane by Cobra Starship.  I'm not going to upload it because I've done it twice in this journal already and you know what it sounds like from that.  :-P

God, I'm in a bad mood.

No comments: