Saturday, December 2, 2006

The VCH Television Awards II

It's time for the second annual VCH Television Awards!  Before we get started, let's travel back in time to one year ago and look at my ten favorite shows from 2005.

1. Arrested Development   -canceled!

2. The Office  -still awesome!

3. LOST       -still awesome!

4. My Name is Earl     -nosedive!

5. Project Greenlight    -canceled!

6. Survivor        -still good, but not awesome!

7. Grey's Anatomy       -better than ever!

8. Pardon The Interruption      -work schedule prevents me from watching it!

9. Prison Break         -still awesome!

10. Reunion     -canceled!

  And now, break out your tux for this year's ceremony.  Here are my ten favorite shows from this year:

1. Veronica Mars (The CW)- Yeah, I know.  I was surprised, too.  But I realized a couple of weeks ago that VM is actually the best show on television.  It's got everything.   A wittiness to match any of the best comedies.  The mystery solving and cool gadgetry of CSI and company. The 'don't care if you get it right away or not' attitude of Arrested Development.   The healthiest and best parent-child relationship on TV.  And of course, a hot girl as the lead...

bell1.jpg    bell2.jpg  bell3.jpg

Yes, the VCH loves Veronica Mars.   As a friend.

2. The Office (NBC)- With AD gone, The Office inherits the spot as the best comedy on television.  And my God is it funny.  Like 'having someone drawn into the room wondering what the heck you are watching that could possibly be so funny' funny.  And, as I said last year, despite its zaniness, the characters are so real.  Michael Scott is a surprisingly complex character.  In the season three premeire, he made me laugh, cringe, and truly feel sorry for him all in the span of twenty-two minutes.  And don't even get me started on the Jim-Pam thing.  I think it could be the gateway into getting my wife to watch the show.

3. LOST (ABC)- OMG!  Michael just shot Ana-Lucia and Libby!  I know most of the media attention is on the controversial hiatus and the off-camera activities of its cast, but LOST is still the most dramatic, amazing roller-coaster ride on TV and still the only show that has literally dropped my jaw.  I don't get home from work until very late, and if there is a LOST recording waiting for me, I can't go to bed until I've watched it. 

4. Heroes (NBC)- The best new show on television this fall.  I was a little on the fence about watching this one, as the previews didn't look too terribly captivating, but I am so glad I did.  It's fast-paced, action-packed and yet still character driven.  How can anyone not fall in love with Hiro?  Or Heroes for that matter.

5. Prison Break (FOX)- Who would have thought this show could have kept up its pace and its crazy twists into a second season when the title of the show had already been achieved?  Yet the show didn't miss a beat and I found myself being interested and talking about it even more than I had the first season.  Of course, that might have been only because of physical therapy where Kate and I would do nothing but talk about it.  Good times!

6. The Loop (FOX)- The best of last spring's mid-season comedies and the only one to not be canceled- technically.  Last I heard, it was coming back again this next spring, only with more focus on the workplace part of the show, which was the best part.  Check it out if it ever does make it back on the air.

7. The Nine (ABC)- And now the sad part of the list.  The shows that were canceled or practically canceled and never given a proper chance.  God forbid a show should be put on the air that uses character development almost exclusively to move a story forward.  Maybe The Nine doesn't have all the twists and turns that other shows have, but it was still telling an intriguing storytelling before being yanked.  Let's hope ABC comes to their senses and let's this one play out. 

8. Kidnapped (NBC)- The biggest travesty of the new season.  I can't believe I got duped by a network again.  I drooled at the mere announcement of this show.  I looked forward to it all summer.  I watched the premeire with glee.  And then I got hosed by an impatient network once again.  I voiced my displeasure to NBC in a non-angry, sensible e-mail and this is what I got:

Thanks for your email. NBC values your comments, but unfortunately, due to the volume of emails we receive, we cannot respond to each one. Please check our FAQ section to see if your question is answered there:

http://www.nbc.com/faq/

Since we cannot accept unsolicited scripts, show ideas, or other creative material, any such submission by email will be deleted without being read.

We would also like to hear more of your opinions about television and the programs you watch. If you would like to share your feedback with us by becoming part of our viewer panel, please visit the following link:

http://www2.rresults.com/1809998/index.cfm?s=50

Once you join, you'll occasionally be invited to take Internet surveys, which are fun to do and usually take about 5 minutes to complete. The informationyou give will have an impact on the television programs you enjoy.

Thanks for logging on to NBC's websites.

Thanks.  That makes it all better!

9. Grey's Anatomy- Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I watch a girl show.  Sue me!  It's still pretty funny.

10. Monk- (USA)- There's a reason Tony Shalhoub keeps winning the acting Emmy for this show.  He has created one of the best television characters of all time.  Like VM, Monk blends mystery with comedy flawlessly.  Only Monk is not as hot.

 

---Okay, that's it!  My favorite shows of 2006 whether they're on the air or not.  I highly recommend checking all this stuff out because if I like it, it has to be good.  I have impeccable taste.  Now I'm off to watch my WWE recording.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch "Monk" because I live with my very own version of him.  Yep, my hubby is just like him, could be why he loves the show so much.  I absolutely LOVE "Grey's Anatomy", first year I watched, wish I watched it all along.
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I like many of those shows you listed.

I am so craving "The Loop."