Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Picks for Week 2

After a shocking 10-6  last week, I decided to take a chance and publish my NFL picks this week.  If I end up sucking, this could be a one time thing.

Titans +2.5 over Ravens  The thing that jumped out at me for this game is the quarterback situation.  You can either have the Ravens with a sucky backup QB on the road or the Titans with a former MVP QB playing at home.  I know the Ravens defense is great and they will be mad about losing to the Colts last week, but still, it's Anthony Wright or Steve McNair!  I take McNair.

Steelers -6 over Texans  I made the mistake last week of thinking the Steelers would suffer a letdown this year with no evidence whatsoever.  The Texans have graduated from "isn't it cute that the expansion team won" to "real team", but still, I don't think they are good enough to beat a team that has won 16 of their last 17 regular season games.

Jaguars +9 over Colts  If I remember correctly, the Jags have been the one team besides the Patriots to give Peyton Manning fits.  Whenever you think a team could actually win, it makes it a lot easier to take a +9.

Lions -2 over Bears  I would be surprised if there is anyone in America outside of Detroit or Chicago laying bets on this game.  Or anyone who cares about the game for that matter.  I think the talent disparity between the offenses will put the Lions over the top.

Vikings +3 over Bengals  Culpepper can't possibly be as bad as he was last week.  The Bengals are historically even worse than usual when they have any kind of expectations placed on them.  Favored two weeks in a row?  I'm not seeing it.  It's the Bengals!

Eagles -13.5 over 49ers   You know what they say- you're never as good as your last win or as bad as your last loss.  I think things will be back to normal when this one is over.  The Eagles are good (even though they lost last week) and the 49ers are bad (even though they won last week).

Bills +2.5 over Buccaneers  Another toss-up.  I didn't think about this much; I just took the points.  I'm not exactly in love with Tampa being a favorite, especially since Buffalo has been on a roll since the end of last season.

 Patriots -3 over Panthers  Until further notice, do not bet against the champs.

Seahawks PICK over Falcons  The Falcons are coming off an emotional revenge game and now have to play a road game 3000 miles away on a short week against a team that was embarrassed last week.  Not a recipe for success.

Cardinals -1 over Rams  I think the Rams are ready to tumble and the Cardinals are ready to start moving up.  This is one of those games that could determine the future of the Rams and I don't think they're talented enough or coached well enough to overcome the obstacle.

Jets -6 over Dolphins  The Sports Guy said it best: "Gus Frerotte on the road!!!"  Plus, the Jets always beat the Dolphins.

Packers -6.5 over Browns  I am one of those people getting the feeling that Brett Favre's last ride is going to crash and burn.  Having said that, the Browns suck.

Chargers +3 over Broncos  The triumphant return of Antonio Gates.

Chiefs -1.5 over Raiders  I got to see the Chiefs firsthand last week and I got the feeling they are going to go back to being one of the best teams.  Yes, the Raiders have Randy Moss, but they also have Kerry Collins, who I have also seen firsthand plenty of times.  Yikes!

Giants -3 over Saints  I'm a homer.

Redskins +6 over Cowboys  The Redskins didn't inspire much confidence with their 2 point victory over Chicago but  6 points is too many to lay down in a rivalry.

No comments: