Monday, December 12, 2005

Music Catch-up and a charitable pervert

  Okay, first, a lot of catching up to do- again!  #21 on the countdown is My Doorbell by The White Stripes.  You can watch the video here: Music Archive Videos: 1 of 4: The White Stripes :Get Behind Me Satan :'My Doorbell'

  I remember the first time I heard this.  I said to myself, this sounds pretty silly and stupid, but I think I will end up liking it in the future.  And it was true-  it is addictively catchy, even if the lyrics are slightly retarded.  I do not agree with some DJ's assessments that this song is about sex.  With the children in the video and the fact that it debuted on Nickelodeon, I think it's just supposed to be a cute little song with no real meaning.

Artist: The White Stripes

Members: Jack & Meg White

Hometown: Detroit, MI

Album: Get Behind Me Satan

------

#20 is Nth Degree by Morningwood.  At my old job, on Sunday morning we used to listen to the Fox music countdown or whatever it was called and every week, the host would play a new song and let his 13 year old female listeners decide if the song was good or not.  I used to give myself a laugh every week by correctly predicting that the girls would say the song had a good beat.  Now in trying to explain why I like some of these songs, I find that sometimes that's all there is to say.  Maybe I'm no more articulate than a thirteen-year-old girl, but Nth Degree has a good beat!  Oh, and I also like when they yell Harder!  That's good stuff right there.  You can hear the song at the band's myspace page: www.myspace.com/morningwood

Band: Morningwood

Members: Chantel Claret, Richard Steel, Pedro Yanowitz, Japa Keenon O.

Hometown: NYC

-----------

#19 is Forget Myself by Elbow.  This was one of those cases where I hated a song- I mean I would turn it off instantly- until the one day I just gave a chance and I ended up liking it a lot.  This usually happens when I hear a lyric I like or something like that.  This song might have been even higher if I redid the list right now.  Their website is here: elbow  The best part of the site is that they published their lyrics.  More bands should do that.  The video is here:

Elbow :Leaders of the Free World :'Forget Myself'

--------------------------

  How was my weekend, you ask?  Pretty good, other than the constant numb pain of my damaged nerves.  I can barely use my left hand- I can't hold anything for very long- it's terrible.  But I don't have to go to work, so that makes everything okay.  On Saturday at the mall there were the Salvation Army guys making their usual collections.  The guy was holding a sign that said DONG.  I thought, 'That's kind of lewd'.  Then I saw that he had a partner I hadn't seen initially whose sign said DING.  That made a little more sense.  Quite a relief actually. 

No comments: