Friday, December 23, 2005

The Run-around

Dec. 9- Obtain LOA paperwork from job.  Told to have it filled out by the doctor who will treat me for the carpal tunnel syndrome.

Dec. 16- Finally found out what doctor will perform the procedure and drop paperwork off there.

Dec. 21- Receive phone call saying they can't do it.  It has to be signed by my primary doctor.  Take paperwork to primary doctor and am told that they can't sign it because they are not the ones who diagnosed me.  Take paperwork to doctor who diagnosed me (thankfully in the same building), but the office is closed until Friday.

Dec. 23- Take paperwork to doctor who diagnosed me and am told that they can't sign it because they only diagnosed me, they are not my healthcare provider.  Take paperwork upstairs to primary who repeat that they cannot sign it because they did not diagnose me.  Take paperwork back downstairs where Dr. Kim, the diagnosis doctor shrugs and says he will just sign it.  Then when he reads it and sees that the signature line says "provider" he changes his mind again and says his signature would be no good.  Go back upstairs one more time and am told that my doctor will look at the paperwork but he has patients and they will leave it on his desk.  I explain as calmly as I can that my two weeks are up today and I need to get the paper back to work today.  The secretary says she will mark it urgent, but no guarantees.  I return home with a knot in my stomach.  Two hours later I get a call that the paperwork is done and I can come pick it up.  I return there to pick it up and they can't find it.  Ten minutes later, I finally have the paperwork completely filled out and head off to work to hand it in.  Now the only thing left is for Wal-mart to "approve" my LOA.  Whatever that means.

--------------------

Best of 2005 #9- Sunnyroad- Emiliana Torrini

-------------------

  I went to see King Kong last night with my mom.  I was going to try and review it, but my jaw still hasn't closed.  I'll do my best.

  It is absolutely awesome- best movie I have seen in a while.  The exposition of the characters for the first hour is almost enough to sustain a comedy in itself in the style of State and Main or Bowfinger.  Then when they get to Skull Island, the whole thing just kicks into another gear that is certainly not for the faint of heart.  The dinosaur stampede was one of the most exciting and wonderful scenes I have ever had the joy of seeing.  The famous fight between Kong and the T-Rex goes on for about twenty minutes and it doesn't even drag.  Just when you think the action on Skull Island can't possibly go on any longer, everything just keeps coming and coming.

  Naomi Watts does an excellent job in a somewhat difficult role requiring her to essentially fall in love with her captor.  The "love triangle" between Watts, Kong and Adrien Brody adds a much more interesting dynamic to the story.  Kong's death goes from a damsel in distress being rescued like in the earlier films to being a full-fledged romantic tragedy.

  Jack Black was just okay in his role as the greedy filmmaker.  I actually thought he wasn't quite sleazy enough.  A lot more could have been done with the role- though I don't blame Black for that.  Some of the subplots could have been cut without hurting the film, but as I said before, it doesn't drag and it is actually a really quick 3 hours.

All in all, King Kong gets 4 stars from me.   ****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know all about the medical runaround and at least you were lucky enough that both docs were in the same building and not miles apart!!  Glad you were finally able to turn in the paperwork!  PHEW!

I will wait for Kong to come out on video.  I don't like sitting for 3 hour movies unless they have "Lord of the Rings" in the title or "Phantom of the Opera".  LOL!  Merry Christmas!
Hugs and love,
Lisa