Saturday, October 23, 2004

Saturday Night

I got an e-mail from AOL yesterday.  They want a picture of me in case they decide to highlight this very blog as an editor's choice... I don't know if that's something they do for new ones or if it means I'm doing a really good job blogging.  Either way, being on the front page of keyword Journal could only mean good things for a young writer trying to create a fanbase :-)

Wow, this World Series is hard to watch as a Yankee fan, excuse me while I turn it off...Anyway, in honor of the Red Sox Nation having their one measly moment, I have decided to compile my own list of favorite sports memories:

5) The Devils 2000 Stanley Cup run...Just moving in to my first place with the future wife, I remember desperately trying to get the TV hooked up in an empty apartment to see if the Devils could come back from a 3-1 series deficit on Philly.  Then a few days later, I felt a strange combination of being both ecstatic and subdued when they won the Cup past Keri's bedtime and I had to keep the celebration down.

4) The Giants 31-3 victory over the Bears on their way to Super Bowl XXV.   The only playoff game I've ever been to.

3) The NJ Nets sudden and unexpected rise to prominence in 2001-2002.  It just felt great to finally be able to wear my Nets gear without being secretly ashamed.  A team that sucked for my entire lifetime in the FINALS, baby!

2) Super Bowl XXV- Some things just stick with you as part of your life.  I remember so much about this game, not just the infamous and obvious Wide Right.  Mark Ingram being short of the first down and juking, jiving and hopping on one foot to make it.  Matt Bahr- "This is for the troops!"  Thurman Thomas almost being the MVP in a losing effort.  Best Super Bowl ever.

1) The NFC Championship before Super Bowl XXV.  I remember being at my aunt's house and celebrating like we had actually helped the team win.  Lot of memorable things here too- Fake punt- direct snap to LB Gary Reasons of all people , LT forcing Craig to fumble when all hope seemed lost, Marshall creaming Montana from behind- and of course that radio call they play all the time whenever they show highlights of this- "It's over for the three-peat!  It's over."  

Wow- kind of sad that three out of five are from the same football season- have I really been a partof that much misery that I have to dwell on one year?  Nah- the Giants' run was just that darn good!

No comments: