Thursday, February 24, 2005

Bye Bye Blink

Hate to post right after my LOST recap when a lot of people come here looking for it,  (Scroll down or hit the insta-link on the left) but I had to react to the news that Blink 182 is on "indefinite hiatus".

FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News

While I can't claim they were ever my *favorite* band, they never put out anything I absolutely hated.  They just quietly flew under the radar as a band I liked but didn't think much about.  And now they're gone.  It's the music world's loss, really.  Still, those guys have had so many side projects over the years, I am sure they are not going away themselves- just the band.

My Top Ten favorite Blink 182 songs:

10. Stay Together for the Kids- Surprising to hear a sad song come out of their usually upbeat style, but it works and is a nice crack at being socially relevant.

9. Down- The third great single off their self-titled work.  Makes it more of a shame that there will be no more.

8. First Date- This one kind of disappeared after it ran its course, but I do hear it on Sirius' punk station sometimes.

7. All The Small Things- Enema of the State was a huge album and I remember this one being played to death.  I can once again listen to it now, though.

6. The Rock Show- Fast paced and effectively captures the sense of urgency inherent with young love.  They're moving to Vegas, damn it!

5. Adam's Song- Their original sad song.  Who knew a punk band could move us with their lyrics?  This one does.

4. Dammit- This is the one where you find out Blink 182 existed before pop stations started playing them.  At least for me it was.  I just love how instantly recognizable it is when it comes on.  The lyrics come in manic spurts like they had to remind themselves to breathe.

3. Feeling This-  Yeah, it got butchered by the Madden 02 soundtrack but the unedited version is great.  I'm glad Sirius still plays it, unlike some Utica radio stations I know...

2. I Miss You- This would be my fave if not for the iconic status of #1.  Just the mellowness and regret is so out of character- it really shows off the range they had as performers and lyricists.

1. What's My Age Again?- The song that made me (and a lot of people) aware of them.  It is also how I measure my age- when it came out, I was twenty-three as mentioned in the song.  Now I realize the song is six years old and it makes me sad.  ...But not really.

No comments: